Guest Blog Written By: Dr. Jen Cisternino Naturopathic Doctor
Allergies are on the rise in North America. According to stats, 30% of adults and 40% of children are allergy sufferers. According to The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, an “allergy” is an overreaction of the immune system to substances that usually cause no reaction in most individuals. So why are people reacting to substances like dander, creams, pollen, foods and mold?
Our immune system is tasked with the role of reacting to things that are life threatening-like a virus or bacteria. When the body is overloaded with poor food choices, stress, chemicals in the environment, products used on the skin, medications etc, the immune system can no longer keep in check what it had kept in check for so long. This is when I see patients in my office complaining that their allergies have worsened or a new rash has formed.
What to do if you have allergies-known or unknown.
1. Remove the Allergen. If you know what you are reacting to, then do your best to avoid exposure as best as you can. Allopathic allergy shots are created to help you become “desensitized” to the allergen. There are many side effects with this and it can be very time consuming. I offer an all natural Allergy Shot to help your immune system find balance.
If you do not know your allergens, then 1. See a Naturopath and get a Food Sensitivity Test to see if something you are eating is triggering a reaction and 2. See your Allergist to get tested for environmental allergies/medicines/chemicals.
2. Detoxify your Liver/Kidneys/Colon. All three of these organs help to eliminate waste from your body. If any organ is not performing it’s duty, then the build up of allergens and toxins can start to show symptoms like hives, rashes, runny nose, sore throat, puffy eyes, headaches, brain fog etc.
3. Clean up Your Diet: Eating fresh whole foods and eliminating sugar and processed foods is sure to help with your allergies. Ensure you get tested to see which foods are best for your immune system. Ensure you are drinking lots of water to clean out your system.
4. Supplementation with Fish oils, Vitamin C and Zinc can help modulate your immune system.
5. Manage Stress: This is super important! Most people do not know how much they are stressing their mind and body until hives appear or allergies worsen. Try to implement deep breathing, yoga, meditation, Reiki, Acupuncture or counselling for your stress.
For more from Dr. Jen Cisternino Naturopathic Doctor
and to book a free 15 min consult be sure to check her out online,
“LIKE” her on Facebook and “FOLLOW” her on Instagram!