The day I’ve been waiting for since the fall has arrived…it’s first day of summer and I couldn’t be happier.
Summer is my most favourite season. I love the hot weather, break from school, summer activities, getting outside, spending time with the kids (I say that now haha), outdoor concerts for this Mamma and of course summer attire…tank tops, shorts, skirts and flip flops.
Summertime for me means fun with so much to do, so I thought I’d share with you my Top 10 things to do in the summer.
Ok here goes…
1. Going for ice cream. Nothing beats hitting up a local ice cream parlour on a beautiful summer day with the family to get a scoop while you either go for a stroll or sit on a patio and enjoy.
2. Visiting my fave farm…Terre Bleu Lavender Farm in Milton. If you haven’t been yet you must! It’s absolutely stunning so don’t forget to bring your camera. Just picture blue skies, endless rows of vibrant purple fields and the insanely amazing aroma of lavender in the air. If you plan on going be sure to try their lavender ice cream and lavender lemonade. You’ll also want to hit up their shop to pick up some lavender essential oil, maple syrup, and honey. You can thank me for it later.
3. Find a great location and go for a walk. Summertime walks are an instant stress reliever for me. I find them so peaceful and a great escape from the hustle and bustle of our crazy busy lives. Some of my fave places are great little towns like Kleinburg, Ontario or somewhere along the water. Anywhere along the Lakeshore is always a hit or head straight for The Beaches here in Toronto.
4. Plan a dinner out either as a family or for a date night and instead of opting for a table inside ask for a table on the patio. Our summers are way to short here in Toronto, make the most of it and enjoy the time you can spend outside with some fab weather. Just yesterday after recording for my radio show (The Parenting Show on Global News Radio 640 Toronto) I went for lunch at Against The Grain (Alex is the best server so be sure to ask for him) with the kids and my mom and the patio there was awesome, nothing beats a lakeside view.
5. Take time to play and have fun! For me, that means pool time, whether we are at someone’s home or a local public pool. It could also mean spending a few hours at Canada’s Wonderland going on some rides, walking around or heading to Splash Works. The EX is always a must in my books and family tradition. Although this doesn’t happen till the end of summer it’s something you don’t want to miss so put it in your calendar now.
6. Pack a picnic! The kids always love picnics. Sometimes we go to a local park that has a splash pad while other times when my crazy schedule gets in the way we improvise and picnic right outside our front door on our porch.
7. Outdoor concerts and music festivals are a must in the summer. I live for live music and so when you combine that with my love for summer I’m in heaven. Some you can go with your kids as a family and others you might not and that’s cool cuz with the kids around all summer long you need to make sure you carve out some time for yourself.
8. Plan a road trip! It could be a day trip to a local beach or maybe you travel a little further and visit a different city or province. My best friend lives in Montreal so we love taking the trip to visit them plus it’s one of my fave cities to go to. The Old Port is spectacular if Montreal is on your to visit list. Niagara Falls is also a fun road trip whether you go for the day or stay the night. So many places to visit and explore. Word to the wise though, if you plan on heading to Montreal be sure to stop off at The Big Apple in Colborne, Ontario and grab yourself an Apple Pie or Apple Bread.
9. BBQ! Although we BBQ all year long (yup even in the middle of winter in the snow) nothing beats having a BBQ with friends and family. There’s just something about gathering around the BBQ with great company. The food always tastes so much better when you’re with the people you care about.
10. Grab a baseball cap and head on down to catch our Toronto Blue Jays in action. Bring the kids (which they will love) or make it a date and have some fun solo or with some friends. I am not one to watch baseball on TV but going to a game is so much different and it screams summer. From the dome being open and sunshine coming in, to cold drinks and foot-long hotdogs this is summer in Toronto.
BONUS: Be a tourist in your own city. Now I haven’t done this yet but it’s on my list to do this summer and I can’t wait. We all live busy lives and we live in a great city that we never really get the chance to explore so why not take a day and get on a double-decker bus downtown and explore.
Well, there you have it my Top 10 things to do in the summer! I hope you enjoyed them and I hope you get the chance to cross some off your list this summer. What are your fave things to do in the summer? Leave me a comment below or hit me up on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and let me know.